You will be logged off in  seconds due to inactivity. Click here to stay logged in.
Having made the important decision of setting the date of your ceremony, you will need to carry out legal preliminaries called ‘giving notice’ of your intention to marry or to form a civil partnership.

Giving notice

You must each give formal notice of your intention to marry or to form a civil partnership in person at a registration office in the district where you live. You are required to have lived in the district for at least eight days before giving notice.

The minimum period between giving notice and when a ceremony can take place is currently twenty eight clear days*. The certificate for marriage will be issued on the twenty ninth working day after giving notice and is valid for twelve months. It's therefore a good idea to give notice as soon as possible.

*For couples where one or both of the parties is a non-EEA national with limited or no immigration status, the Home Office may extend the notice period to 70 days. Additional fees may apply at the point where the registration officer takes your legal notice.  When you attend the appointment please ensure you have a means of payment otherwise your notice cannot be taken.

For detailed information on the requirements for giving notice and applying for visas, visit the web site.

Next step

For more information please contact our ceremonies team for more information at or 01452 425060 (option 3).

Find a venue

Your special ceremony can take place in a registration office or an approved venue; the choice is yours.

» Find a venue

Ceremony fees

Our range of current ceremony fees, including our cancellation and amendment policy.

» Ceremony fees

Share this page