Become an approved venue
Any suitable building can apply to be an approved venue to host non-religious ceremonies.
If you would like to apply for your venue to become an approved premises for weddings and other ceremonies, you can fill in an application form. Please make sure you read the General Register Office approved premises regulations before you apply to make sure that your venue is suitable for a licence.
How do I apply for or renew a licence?
Applications must be made on the County Council's official application form.
The approved premises application pack consists of the formal application and guidance notes relating to the application.
Please send completed forms to:
Approved Premises Administration Team
Gloucestershire Registration Service
St George's Road
Applications must be accompanied by:
- a copy of a valid Fire risk assessment. For information on completing a fire risk assessment you can visit the Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue website.
- a copy of any relevant planning permission which applies to the venue and a copy of the public liability insurance certificate.
- a copy of a plan (or plans) of the premises clearly identifying their location and the room(s) to be licensed. Plans should be no larger than A3 size.
How long does a licence last?
A licence will normally run for 3 years from the date of issue and will terminate at the end of that period unless renewed or revoked.
How much does it cost?
- the current fee to license or renew a licence for an approved premises is £2,500.
- the fee covers the cost to the County Council of processing your application, including publication of an official notice on the Gloucestershire County Council website, inspections during the 3-year approval period, inclusion on the General Register Office official list and Gloucestershire Registration Service's Celebrate With Us website.
- if you require any changes to be made during the term of the licence you will be required to pay a further charge equivalent to the licence fee. You are therefore advised to withhold changes until the expiry of the current licence.
- once an application fee has been accepted and costs have been incurred, no refund will be made.
Below are a series of related documents for you to download.
- The General Register Office approved premises regulations
- Approved premises application pack
- Approved premises objection policy
- GCC outside structure policy
- Approved premises responsible persons guidelines
Should you require further information before you make your application, please email email@example.com