In Gloucestershire we understand becoming a British citizen is a significant event in your life. As a British citizen, you are joining a community made up of many different backgrounds, cultures and faiths.
Who attends a ceremony?
It is mandatory for all new British Citizens over 18 years old to attend a citizenship ceremony.
When your application for British Citizenship is successful the Home Office will send you a letter to confirm this and invite you to attend a ceremony. This letter will tell you how to contact us about attending a ceremony.
You must bring your Home Office letter, along with the confirmation of your ceremony booking from us, with you to the ceremony. Please also bring a form of photographic identification (passport, travel document, or photo card driving licence).
Arranging your Citizenship Ceremony
We are pleased to announce that we are able to offer small group citizenship ceremonies but please read the following before you contact us to make a booking:
- You will need to have received an invitation letter, either through the post or by email, from the Home Office to be able to book a ceremony with your local authority. This letter includes your Home Office reference number and is issued to you at a similar time to your Certificate being dispatched to us.
- We can only book your ceremony if we have received your certificate of naturalisation from the Home Office.
- Two guests will be permitted into the ceremony to support you. If you bring any additional guests they will be asked to wait outside.
- Please note that Children under the age of 18 who have been granted citizenship do not need to attend the ceremony. Their certificate can be presented to their parent(s).
In order to discuss booking a ceremony please contact us on 01452 425060, selecting option 3 – you will be asked to provide your full name, Home Office reference number and an email address and contact telephone number.
Alternatively please email GRSCitizenship@gloucestershire.gov.uk supplying these details.
We will be able to respond to your enquiry and give you further information and then arrange a ceremony date for you - thank you.
Currently you will attend a group ceremony with other new British Citizens. Group ceremonies are held at Shire Hall, Westgate Street, Gloucester. A registration officer will conduct the ceremony. If available, a local dignitary and either the Chairman or Vice Chairman of the County Council will also be present to welcome you to Gloucestershire, and remind you of the rights and responsibilities associated with being an active member of your local community.
At the end of the ceremony you will be presented with your certificate of British citizenship and a welcome pack.
There is no charge for this ceremony as it is included in the fee that you paid when making your application for British Citizenship.
On the day of your ceremony
- If you feel at all unwell or have been asked to self-isolate do not attend your ceremony – please call us to rearrange. We will then re-book you onto the next available ceremony or discuss options with you.
- Although wearing a face covering is no longer a legal requirement we would encourage the wearing of one in Shire Hall (unless you are exempt). It may be removed when you take the oath (or affirmation) of allegiance and the pledge of loyalty.
- NHS Test and Trace
We would encourage you to check in using the QR code displayed in our offices using the NHS COVID-19 app or by providing your details to a member of staff to support NHS Test and Trace.
Due to Covid restrictions we are able to accommodate a maximum of 2 guests for each citizen